Schedule B: Costume Care
1. Upon receipt, unpack and inventory all costumes, using MSMT’s Schedule A Inventory Sheet. All claims of shipping damage or packing discrepancies must be made in writing within 48 hours of receipt of the costumes. When returning by shipping, each box must be insured for at minimum of $1,000.
2. ALTERATIONS: Safety pins, hand sewn tacks and machine stitching are acceptable forms of alterations. All altered costumes must be restored to their original state before return. All restored alterations must be sewn.
3. Please do not permanently alter the costumes by cutting, dyeing, and distressing the fabric. You may not apply any glue, tape or any other adhesives to any component of any costume for any reason at any time. If costumes are not returned in the condition they left MSMT Costumes, the customer may be charged damage or replacement value fees.
4. Original MSMT labels are not to be removed from the costume pieces. Please remove your own labels prior to returning costumes.
5. Eating, drinking (anything but water), and smoking in MSMT costumes is forbidden. Any food or drink stain or evidence of smoking on the costume will be considered permanent damage.
6. Dress shields are to be used where applicable (i.e. ladies’ dresses, men’s jackets). Undershirts, tights, and other undergarments need to be worn to protect the costume garments.
7. MSMT prefers that performers use deodorant rather than antiperspirant. (Antiperspirant contains aluminum chloride which stains and eats away at the fabrics of the costumes.) Any corrosion will be determined permanent damage and the customer will be charged for full replacement value of the costume.
8. No perfumes, body sprays, colognes, fragrant detergents, or fragrance sprays (like Febreeze, etc.) can be used on the costumes. Use of such items will result in damage fees.
9. Care must be taken when packing costumes for return shipment. (The majority of damages in any costume rental are the direct result of improper packaging.)
When unpacking, take particular note of how items are packed so the boxes can be repacked the same way.
- Boxes should be repacked as per the inventory provided for each numbered box
- Hats should be packaged together in a separate box-not with other costume pieces that might crush them (unless otherwise packed or noted)
- Costumes must never be packaged when damp. Allow sufficient drying time after the final performance. Mold will grow in transit if costumes are damp.
- When items need to be cleaned during the run of your show, see the Schedule A inventory sheets for appropriate cleaning instructions for each item.
10. The costume designer or coordinator and wardrobe supervisor of your production must be given a copy of Schedule A and schedule B in order to insure that all items and guidelines are followed regarding the care of the costumes.
11. The costumes are to be used in a reasonable and customary manner. Please store and hang costumes properly using the appropriate hanger. Under no circumstances are knee slides allowed in any costume, because knee slides permanently damage costumes.
12. Laundry Care Instructions.
a. The Customer is responsible for all post show cleaning and the associated expenses.
b. All machine wash only items will be washed in cold water in separated loads (whites, light colors, reds, dark colors) The Customer will use a mild, fragrance free detergent such as All Free or Tide Free.
c. Hand wash or spot treat items as needed with a mild, fragrance free detergent. The Customer may use Oxy Clean, Shout or Tide to remove stains or lighten whites as needed and when applicable.
d. The Customer will professionally dry clean items that require such as indicated in Schedule A. (Dryel is not permitted.) Customer will send all cleaned costumes back to MSMT Costumes in plastic garment bags. Customer will provide dry cleaning receipts to MSMT Costumes as proof of cleaning care.
e. If the Customer has any questions regarding the care, handling or long show run maintenance of any costume piece, they are strongly encouraged to call the office for further instructions/guidelines.